Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Journal May 20, 2015 - Attaching a tendril

Time lapse photography has me off on another tangent from gardening, again.  I thought it might just be interesting to see exactly how a cucumber tendril goes about finding and attaching itself to a support.  The tendril is very hard to see in the view finder, so I hope it will be visible in the video.  

In an effort to smooth out the video, the frame rate has been changed to one frame every four minutes.  And, I suspect that this may happen very quickly, as the plants seem to find and attach themselves to the netting minutes after I place the netting in the greenhouse.  The camera settings are: ISO 200, F11 @ 20.

As an experiment, I have a selection of both greenhouse and regular varieties in the greenhouse this year: Tropic, (greenhouse), Super Beefsteak (regular), Mortgage Lifter (heirloom) and Arbason (greenhouse). They all are doing great at this point; lots of blossoms and setting nice fruit. All seems to be going too well so far, but I am waiting for one of Murphy's laws to kick in any day now.


The Bougainvillea is still flowering and I am beginning to wonder if it will ever quit.  It seems to like the out of the way spot I found for it in the greenhouse, so I am going to let it fight it out with the cucumbers for the netting and see who wins.

No comments: