Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Journal May 13, 2015 - Pinwheel zinnia bud photo

A
A few pinwheel zinnia plants were placed in pots early on to be used for time lapse photography.  My thinking was that they produce buds on long stems, which would be fairly easy to isolate. 

One bud looks like it is getting ready to open, however, I am really not sure how long it will take, or how much higher it will grow before it opens.

Today was a cold, windy, overcast day, so I decided to set up for a time lapse sequence.   At first I tried using a light box, but the lighting was flat.  Next, I tried strobes,  which made the lighting too harsh.  Finally, I settled on a simple key light and fill light setup using 6500K fluorescent bulbs.

The ISO was set to 200, the shutter speed at 25, the F stop at 11, the interval between photos is fifteen minutes, with 1650 frames allocated for the project.  My plan is to stitch them together to make a 24 frame per second video.

When I composed the shot, I allowed some wiggle room for the plant to grow, hopefully the bud will not grow right out of the frame.

Now, it is just a matter of waiting to see what happens.

No comments: