Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23, 2012 journal





Sunday I stopped by the local Agway to pick up some perlite, and they had just put out this year's shipment of seeds. Not that I needed seeds, but I bought up some anyway.

Livingston Seed Company is not associated with
Monsanto, which is one of the reasons I like to buy their seeds. Of course, the other reason is that you get a lot of seeds for a reasonable price. The lettuce has 3 grams, the beets have 5 grams and the chard has 10 grams, so for under five dollars I got several thousand seeds. And, considering that I waste very few seeds, that is a bargain indeed!

Today I planted cucumber seedlings in an ebb and flow system, where they will grow until I see roots sticking out of the net pots. At that point, I intend to fill an ebb and flow system with hydroton, and plunge the net pots into the hydroton allowing the roots to grow into the tub.

The nutrients for the cucumbers will be the standard mix I use for lettuce, with the EC adjusted to 1.6 and the pH at 5.6.

No comments: