Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting pickled.

The little leaf cucumbers in the greenhouse are really starting to produce, so I decided to make dill pickles. I searched online as, I wanted a recipe for a small batch of pickles that could be fermented in a crock.

I found a recipe that could be used to make as few as six pickles, and that is exactly what I wanted, as making pickles is not one of my fortes.

After following the instructions to the letter, letting them ferment in the crock for the required number of days, I found the pickles to be extremely salty. Much to my dismay, they were so salty I had to throw them away. At this point, I decided that I might as well forget the idea of making dill pickles.

Just by chance; the very next day my wife came across a post regarding Morton's salt on a cooking site. The person was complaining that when she used Morton's salt, according to the recipe, the result was too salty. She posted that she had determined that Morton's was TWICE as salty as other salts. Yup, Morton's salt is what I had used.

Well thought I, why not adjust my recipe, cut the salt in half , and try another batch. Ava, my granddaughter, loves pickles, and she has been sniffing the crock and asking when the pickles would be ready. Today we opened the crock and I let her taste the first bite, her eyes lit up and she said: "Fantastic", and they truly are!

I am going to file this recipe in a safe place because it is a keeper.

No comments: