Saturday, May 9, 2009

Prolific pepper


The giant marconi peppers are really blazing along in the drip ring systems. I don't find them difficult to grow at all. Apparently their needs are minimal, as the recommended TDS is 1260-1540, however I am running about 1860. I added a tablespoon of Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate), which is why my TDS is sliglty higher than the suggested range, at least I think so. On the next system change I will measure the TDS before adding the magnesium sulfate.

This is really the first time I have given the drip ring systems a proper trial, and I must admit that I like them. The maintenance is minimal, as is the energy needs of these systems, as the air pumps use very little power. Additionally, the system is running in cycles, and is probably actually running perhaps six hour a day.

A few days ago I read a study by the University of Pennsylvania about the economics of growing peppers commercially. They evaluated several different varieties of peppers. In the variety that included the Giant Marconi, the study concluded that it did not have the largest peppers, but was the most prolific producer in that variety. Which I think was sweet roasting peppers.

Considering I have the entire summer ahead, I am really looking forward to seeing how prolific they really are....


No comments: