Sunday, May 10, 2009

Bush Champion cucumbers

Maintaining my criteria for growing small plants with large fruit I will be growing bush champion cucumbers in the greenhouse this season. This is what Burpee has to say about these cucumbers:

"You won't believe the large number of crisp, bright green slicers you'll get.
No room for vines? Bush types take one-third the space, so they're great for containers and raised beds. Bush Champion. 55 days. Huge 11" cukes make this our favorite mini. You won't believe the large number of crisp, bright green slicers you'll get from the pint-sized plants. Mosaic-resistant and productive. Proven tops for productivity, flavor and wide adaptability. Sun."

In retrospect I really wish I had started the seeds much earlier than I did. Next year I will start the seeds indoors in mid March rather than early April.

The plants in the above photo have been planted in an Autopot, however they will be top watered manually for several days.

As for being pint sized plants; it has been my experience that cucumbers grown hydroponically in the greenhouse do not remain pint sized for long. Well, time will tell...

No comments: