Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Journal May 1, 2018 - Springing into spring

The upcoming weather forecast looks pretty good so I decided to open the greenhouse for the season.  Checking my log I found that I am only three days later than last year, so that is not so bad considering the terrible weather we have been having.



After gathering all of the ingredients I mixed the media for the Autopots and began planting the tomatoes.  Again this year I am going with Tropic tomatoes, as usual, however, someone gave me seeds for a variety called Redorta, so I have included one of those just to try it.


"Named for a mountain, Pizzo Redorta in Bergamo, Italy. TomatoFest preferred Italian paste tomato. A much larger tomato (8 oz., 4-inch) with much better taste than its cousin, San Marzano. Meaty, delicious enough to eat off the vine with the bonus of ending up with more tomato paste per plant. An excellent choice for a wonderful complex and flavorful choice for tomato sauce, canning or salsa." 


 
 On the north side of the greenhouse this year I will be growing sweet frying peppers.  Another variety I am looking forward to trying is a Hungarian sweet pepper, giant Kapia.  It is said to be fantastic and if it lives up to its reputation I will save the seeds as I only received a few as a gift.
 

No comments: