Saturday, October 3, 2015

Journal October 3, 2015



I purchased a pineapple at Aldi's for a little over two dollars,  as I wanted to see for myself just how difficult it would be to start my own plant.  

Today I removed the top of the fruit, stripping off the bottom leaves to expose an inch or so of the core.  The top was placed in a jar of plain water, with the water covering the exposed base of the core.

The jar has been placed under a LED grow light, along with the plant purchased on Ebay, in a warm environment.  

The plant purchased on eBay came from a nursery, so it was most likely grown from a slip or sucker.  It is my understanding that plants propagated this way will produce a pineapple about a year sooner than plants propagated from the crown.  I guess I will just have to wait and see.

No comments: