Sunday, July 19, 2015

Journal July 19, 2015 - As you sow so shall you reap

Today I pulled and strung garlic from the raised bed.  Actually, this is the first time I have tried garlic, so I was pleasantly surprised at the harvest. 

The varieties are Italian Purple and Canadian Music; the bulbs for which we purchased at a garlic fest in Vermont in the fall.

Both varieties are hardneck, which as I understand it, are best for cold climates like ours.  I had purchased California softneck bulbs from Agway, after being assured they would grow in our area; not a single bulb came up after our miserable winter.  Going forward, I will stick with hardneck varieties.

The garlic is hanging in the tool shed to dry, when I open the doors in the morning the smell is divine.  ( I love garlic) 

We had to put poultry netting around the tomato plants to keep critters from the plants.  Something was taking a single bite from the tomatoes on the lower trusses.  From the teeth marks I could tell it was some sort of rodent, squirrel or a woodchuck.

As you can see by the photos, the tomato plants are cordon type, growing upright attached to the fence.  This method has many benefits, like keeping the fruit off the ground. allowing ventilation and sunlight to reach the tomatoes.

And, on the subject of tomatoes, of all the varieties I planted this year the trusty old Tropics are doing the best, that includes both the greenhouse and the garden.  So, why mess with success?  Going forward it will be just Tropics in both locations.  

No comments: