Saturday, June 2, 2012

June 2, 2012 journal - seed starting


One of the most frequent inquires I receive is how to start seeds.   The process I use to start seeds is the same, whether I intend to grow the seedling hydroponically, or in soil.

My procedure is to place the seeds in a coffee filter that has been moistened with dilute nutrient solution.  I fold the filter and place the folded filters in a plastic zip-lock bag; later placing the bag under my grow light.

When the radicle, or tap root, develops, and is about 1/4" to 1/2" in length,  I tuck the seedling into Oasis horticubes that have been soaked in dilute nutrient solution.  The planted cubes are grown under intense lighting until several true leaves have formed and roots are coming out of the cubes.




When the seedlings are well on their way, I transfer the cubes into the growing medium that I intend to use.


Recently, I was searching online for carnation seeds for Ava to grow in the greenhouse, as she is intently interested in coloring carnations for some unknown reason.  I found what I was looking for, and thought I would share this vendor.  Their shipping charge is only $2.50 for small orders, additionally,  their packaging and service was excellent.  The order was shipped promptly, with a tracking number, and the seeds are packed in plastic zippered bags,  which are enclosed in resealable foil packages with growing instruction on the them.   The seeds I received are shown in the top photo.


The vendor is:  http://www.2bseeds.com/

No comments: