Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 3, 2012 journal


The weather has been cool and cloudy for the last several days and the forecast is for these conditions to continue throughout the weekend.  The recently planted cucumbers and tomatoes in the greenhouse show no apparent signs of new growth, and I suspect the lack of sunlight and heat is a major factor in slowing them down.

Two Turkish/Italian eggplant seedlings were potted and placed in the greenhouse where I will grow them all season.  I was looking for something unusual, and this variety fits that description nicely.  The plants should grow to be four feet tall and have orange fruit with green stripes, with the fruit being about the size of a tomato.  Well, that is what they are supposed to look like, if I succeed in growing them.  Growing unusual plants is part of the fun of gardening in my opinion.

The photo shows two different varieties of lettuce, however, looking at the plants, for the life of me, I can not find any difference in the two varieties.  If there is a difference, I think it would have to be determined by testing the DNA.  It kind of makes me wonder if the seed vendors just make up their own names.

No comments: