Sunday, July 17, 2011

Miniature eggplant


It appears that my project of hand pollinating the miniature eggplant has been a success as the plant has quite a few miniature eggplant forming, and it continues to grow and bloom. I do not, however, have any idea of what I am going to do with these tiny eggplant.

That said, I have come to the conclusion that the reason that I was not successful in growing eggplant in the greenhouse previously was my choice of variety. Apparently, the Florida Highbush plant I tried to grow required different environmental conditions in order for it to set fruit.

To pollinate the flowers, in addition to shaking them, I inserted the tip of a small artist brush into the center of the flower and rotated it to transfer pollen from the stamens to the pistil

No comments: