Saturday, July 5, 2014

Journal July 5, 2014 - Miniature rose in vitro


On June 7, 2014 I cut a single leaf from a miniature rose plant that Ava had given her grandmother last Mother's Day.  The leaf was cut into several sections, which were then placed  in vitro.  

This is the very first time I have attempted a leaf cutting, so I really don't know what to expect.  That said, one month later callus cells are beginning to form on the leaf sections, so I am hoping that soon new plants will begin to grow from the callus.

Above is one of the Picholine olive explants placed in vitro on June 13, 2014.  At that time I had placed three explants in the same vessel, however, they began to grow so quickly that I have decided to separate them so each can have enough room, and media, to grow.

No comments: