Saturday, April 19, 2014

Journal April 19, 2014 - Tropic tomatoes

This year I waited until mid-March until I started my tomato seeds;  I usually started them on or about Valentine's day in previous years.   That said, this year's plants have grown so large that I had to up pot them today because they kept falling over.

The plants shown above are Tropic tomatoes, an open pollinated greenhouse variety  developed by the University of Florida.  They are highly disease resistant and are recommended for hot humid areas,  however they work really well in my greenhouse.  

The weather at this time of year is unpredictable, so I know I will have to move them back indoors several times until the weather settles into a more spring like pattern.  Tonight the forecast is for the low temperature to be 25 degrees F, so the plants have been moved back indoors and placed in grow tents.

At this point I have no idea of what I am going to do with the plants in the small pots, as I have no more space for tomatoes.   



No comments: