Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Journal May 1, 2013

The above composite shows the mission olive tree I named Junipero on February 14, 2013 and today May 1, 2013.  The plant has been transplanted from a 4" pot to 8" pot, as it is really starting to grow in the greenhouse.

Also today, using poly twine and vine clips, I added supports to the tomato plants in the greenhouse.  This method is very simple and works best for my purposes.

The tomato in the photo is a Rutgers, and it has been several years since I have grown this variety, having opted for specialized greenhouse varieties in prior years.  This year, in the greenhouse, I am growing tropic, trust and of course the Rutgers. 

The Rutgers is a compact plant, with many flowers, and the trusses, at this point, are only a few inches apart.  It should be interesting to see how the trusty old Rutgers compares with the hybrids and specialized varieties.

No comments: