Thursday, April 9, 2009

Drip ring system used to grow capsicum


The giant marconi peppers shown in my post of March 17, 2009 are progressing nicely. They have both flowers and small peppers forming.

The drip ring system seems to be working really well for the peppers, and I may use a bamboo teepee to support the plants when it becomes necessary. For the life of me I can't figure out why nature would produce a plant that can't stand up by itself...


My book on greenhouse gardening advises that the first flowers be removed, and I really was hesitant about doing that. Then I read that if you do, you will get more fruit, and if you don't, the plant may do it anyway. So, I removed the first two flowers, and the plant is really producing flowers at this point. I am glad I purchased the book, and if you don't follow the instructions, what is the point in buying the book?

Another variety of pepper that met my criteria was the Corno Di Toro. It has large peppers and only grows 24" to 30" high.

The package reads:
The largest of the sweet stuffing peppers, it is first-rate, fresh or roasted. Fruits turn a stunning red or brilliant yellow when ripe and have a long, curved, tapering, non-bell shape. Fruits are 6-10 inches long x 1 1/2 inches wide at shoulder.

One of the coro di toro plants is shown in the drip ring system on the left. The plant is smaller, as it is several weeks behind the marconi peppers. I completely forgot that I purchased the seeds, and only recently came across the seeds.

No comments: