Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Replanting Little Leaf cucumbers



Today, my assistant and I picked all of the small gherkin size fruit from the Little Leaf cucumbers in the greenhouse and started another batch of dill pickles.

We removed the plants and replaced them with two Little Leaf seedlings that I had started a few weeks ago. The plants that were replaced were still growing, however, I feel that they lose vigor and slow down after awhile. I guess it is like life; as you get older you slow down some.

The plants in the soil garden, started on the same day as the replaced plants, are now just beginning to really set fruit, so we will have a continuous supply for quite sometime. In mid-August, I will replace the greenhouse plants to try to grow cucumbers as late in the season as I can get away with it.

No comments: