Thursday, March 23, 2017

Journal March 23, 2017 - Orchid collection just about complete

There is one more Cattleya cross on order, and after that arrives I am calling it quits for buying plants.  From this point on, any plants that I add to our collection will be those I have grown myself.

The Phalaenopsis plants have four new plants starting from the nodes on the spikes that I applied Keiki paste to.  It is amazing how easy and quick that process was, and, strange things are happening to the Dendrobium and Cattleya plants that had the paste applied to their nodes.  It is really too early to tell what is going on, but things are growing from the nodes.

The orchid seeds are doing absolutely nothing, however, I am sure that the seed I purchased on eBay had a lot to do with that.  Hopefully, soon I will see a seed pod forming and I will have millions of fresh seed to work with.  To that end, I purchased media from a lab that is in the business of starting orchid seed.  It is my intention to try and compare their media with my homebrewed media at some point.

No comments: