Sunday, July 5, 2015

Journal July 5, 2015 - Picking tomatoes

Although I am pretty much growing the same varieties this year that I have grown in previous years, the fruit seems to be much larger.  As the only real change I have made is to the growing media, that has be what is making the difference in size.

Not only is the fruit larger, but there is more of it.  The bottom trusses are beginning to ripen, while the fruit on the upper trusses is getting larger, and, at the very tips of the plants, fruit is still setting.  Off hand, I would say that this is going to be a very good year.

Again today I picked another batch of Matilde cucumbers from the greenhouse, which once again will be turned into lacto-fermented pickles.  The first small batch is just about gone, as Miss Ava ate at least four today and took one home with her.  These pickles are one of the things that make summer such a delight.

No comments: