Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Journal November 26, 2014 - Bella Di Cerignola in vitro
Having only five seeds to work with, I decided to germinate some in vitro, and some in moist coffee filters, after having first removed the seeds from the drupe.
The seeds in the moist coffee filters are turning black and have a white fungus of some sort growing on the seed coat. Today, I decided to take a blade and scrape off the fungus and black coating from one seed. In doing so, the seed coat came off also, which left a sort of white long cylindrically shaped seed.
Using the tip of the blade, I carefully cut into the outside layer to a depth of about 1/64" to examine the very heart of the seed. Inside I found the complete embryo, shown above. The radicle can be seen on the right, attached to the undeveloped cotyledons.
Well, noting ventured, nothing gained, so I placed the embryo in a weak solution of sterile water and hydrogen peroxide to sterilize it.
The embryo is now in vitro, and tomorrow I intend to do the same to the remaining seeds in coffee filters. I may not remove the outside layers, as that may serve as a carbon source for the embryo, however, the media contains sugar, which is a carbon source.
In any event, it will be a learning experience, which is what this is all about.