Friday, March 1, 2013

Journal March 1, 2013

The first day of March begins meteorological spring and I guess the seeds are ready.  

Two varieties of tomato seeds have germinated in only three days, and I can even see a radicle developing on cubanelle pepper seeds started three days ago.  Several annual flower seeds germinated in only two days!  

Among the annual seeds that germinated in two days was a package of pacific beauty calendula seeds that I purchased last fall for twenty cents.  When I looked them up online to research details about this variety, I found Burpee selling them for $4.95 a package.  What's wrong with that picture?

 And, on the subject of seeds; last year I planted mixed Unwin's dwarf dahlia seeds and two of the plants had beautiful burgundy-red flowers.  By simply letting the flowers dry on the plants at the end of the season, I was able to collect seeds from those plants.  The seeds I collected were also among the seeds that sprouted in only two days.  Free seeds for life, ya gotta love it.

No comments: