Thursday, March 29, 2012

March 29, 2012 journal


A replacement meter from Hanna Instruments arrived today, so I sent an email to their technical support person to thank him and tell him I appreciated the replacment.

The replacment meter is slightly different than the Champ, and let's hope the quality is better. The major difference is that the electrode on this meter can be replaced by the customer, rather than returning the meter to a service center.

As previously posted, I rarely use a pH meter, as I consistently use the same nutrients, and mix them in the same amounts. By maintaining consistency, and knowing the EC and pH from previous measurements, I have only an occasional need to measure pH. The last time I used a meter was to lower the pH for the cucumbers to 5.6, as suggested by the Easy2Grow president.

My reservoirs are changed every two weeks, with occasional top offs when necessary. I am not concerned with a slight shift in pH, as I feel the nutrients are taken up by the plants at slightly different pH levels, so a slight shift is actually beneficial.

No comments: