Monday, March 12, 2012

March 12, 2012 journal


Our mild winter continues, so much so that I have been able to get the greenhouse in shape for the season a full six weeks earlier than last year. The supports for the tomatoes and cucumbers have been plumbed and stabilized, and the polycarbonate panels have been washed.

To wash the panels, a job that I detest, I used a mixture of one part white vinegar to two parts water, along with a complete roll of paper towels. The vinegar water mixture works much better than any commercial window cleaning product, and it is probably easier on your lungs than breathing the spray from the chemicals in commercial products.

The order I have been expecting from Southern Exposure Seed Exhange arrived today. It contained seeds for San Marzano tomatoes, Straw Flowers and seeds for Turkish Orange eggplant.

I guess the miniature eggplant I grew last season inspired me to try eggplant again. This Turkish Orange heirloom, if it is a success, will have small orange/red green striped fruit, that is said to be sweet flavored.

No comments: