Thursday, February 6, 2014

Journal February 6, 2014 - Arbosana culture test

The Arbosana olive tree was too tall and needed to be cut back, so I decided to remove about six inches from the top of the tree to be used for a micro-propagation test.  This would be the first time I have used woody material rather than soft green growing shoots.

The section removed was surface sterilized in H2O2, cut into several single node explants which were placed into a variety of protocols.

There are things going on with the current tests, however, at this point, I do not have enough experience with the process to interpret what is going on.

For instance, five Kalamata olive embryos were placed into culture on January 6, 2014.  On the morning of February 2, 2014 I looked at the embryos and could see swelling.  That evening one of the embryos had burst and white tissue was protruding from the blunt end.  As of today the tissue is growing in a downward direction and growing quickly.  Normally, you would expect a single radicle, pointed like a finger, but this mass of tissue looks nothing like a radicle.  I have no idea of what is going on at this point.  There are four other Kalamata seeds in the same vessel which are swelling as well.  

Previously, I have tried to propagate olives by germinating seeds, but even after trying for a year had no luck.  To actually see something happening in eight or nine days is exciting, even if I don't know what is happening.

Time will tell.....

No comments: