Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Finally finished!


The greenhouse preparation is finally complete, and all I need now is for Mother Nature to begin cooperating and provide some decent weather.

I have installed the plant support systems, feed lines, solar vent openers, ventilation fan and heater.


In addition to the autopots I have several self watering containers, that I will use for flowers, and to grow lettuce that I intend to let go to seed.

As we get a lot of dismal days in the spring, I have added supplemental lighting to use on dismal days.

6 comments:

About Me said...

What media are you using in your autopots? I'm trying to decide between using a hydroponic media or a media/soil combination. Thanks.

admin said...

I always use a fifty fifty mixture of coco coir and perlite. Agricultural perlite works best, but the regular works also. Agway, and some garden centers, sell three cubic foot bags for under twenty dollars. Small bricks of coir cost two dollars and change. When soaking the coir I use a very dilute nutrient mix, about quarter to half strength, to get the transplants off to a good start. You should also top water a little to get them started, not too much though.

About Me said...

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what nutrients do you use in your reservoir with your autopots? Also, can you recommend a book or a great website that could help a beginner like me grow with autopots? Thanks again!

admin said...

I am using dry nutrients purchased from Vertigro.com I really don't know of a book specific to autopots. You should just mix the nutrients as directed and put them in the reservoirs. Every few days I check the valves to make sure they have not clogged. Other than. that there is not much to it.

Dan said...

Love that greenhouse! You're a luck man.

About Me said...

Thank you. Your greenhouse really is lovely. Best of luck!