Friday, December 10, 2010

Trying Spacemaster Cucumbers indoors




We have been picking more salad greens than we can possibly use, so my wife suggested that I use a system to grow cucumbers.

Cucumbers are not my favorite plant to grow indoors, but to keep peace in the family I decided to oblige. My choice was: Spacemaster cucumbers, which are supposed to be: "
Great for small areas. Short,hardy vines. Slender,dark green fruits, 7 ½" long. 56 days."

To grow them I will be using my home built autopot containing a 50/50 mixture of coir and agricultural perlite. The lighting is a 90 watt red/blue/white LED with a photoperiod of 16 hours. I have added a valve to the feed line to control nutrient flow during system maintenance. The valve can be seen in the lower right corner of the photo above.


By the time the cucumbers have run their course I will most likely leave the setup, and switch to starting annuals for the outdoor garden and greenhouse.

This variety will require hand pollination, however, Ava loves to pollinate cucumber flowers, so I will delegate that chore to her....

No comments: