Monday, June 28, 2010

Season's first salad


Finally, the greenhouse is producing all the ingredients necessary for a salad. The harvest in the photo includes: red romaine (silva), telegraph improved cucumbers and sweet cluster tomatoes.

My three year old granddaughter, Ava, had a great time helping to pick these vegetables, and she really enjoys her time in the greenhouse. The conversation usually goes: What are you doing Pop? Can I help? Can I do it? From that point forward she usually has things pretty much under control. These are moments to really cherish.

I have started a replacement crop of cucumbers, and I have also started a greenhouse tomato called Tropic. I am not sure I will have enough time left in the season for the tomatoes, however I am going to give it a try. Last season I had the greenhouse going until mid-November, so I may just have enough time to see how the Tropic cultivar performs.

No comments: