Friday, February 13, 2015

Journal February 13, 2015 Sword olive embryo in vitro

Today I removed a sword olive embryo from the seed and placed it in protocol to see if that would hasten germination.  Prior to being extracted, the seed was in moist paper towel for about two weeks.

As a control, I have seeds in moist paper towel, and, one seed that has been in vitro in starting protocol for about two weeks.

Sword is another obscure variety I would really like to add to my collection.  


All of the olive seeds I grow are removed from the drupe prior to being germinated.  Many times upon opening the drupe, I will find that the seed has dessicated and is no longer viable.   By simply planting an olive seed in soil, there is a good chance that you could waste a year waiting for a seed that will never sprout.

No comments: