Thursday, August 7, 2014
Journal August 7, 2014 - Chemlali in vitro
For sometime I have wanted to try to tweak the olive protocol, so this should allow me to do so. The protocol in each vessel is slightly different in composition; in terms of more nutrients, or the addition of rooting hormones. The second vessel from the left contains woody plant media, which I have intended to try, but never quite got around to it.
Today I moved the olives back into the greenhouse from the deck, as we have had two major thunder storms this week that unloaded quite a lot of rain on the plants. The soil in the containers drains well, and I have drilled holes in the bottom of each container to allow excess water to flow through, however, I was just not comfortable with the plants being so wet. I tried to rationalize that several of the plants came from Florida, where it rains pretty much every day in some areas, but I was still not comfortable. As a test I am leaving two small olive plants on the deck to see if they survive all summer long with no intervention.
It makes me think of the old margarine commercial that stated:"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."