Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August 1, 2012 journal

As the replacement tomato plants develop their second truss I have begun to remove the growing tips.  So far I have removed the tips of two plants, however, there are at least nine set buds on each plant.  

My intention is to force the plant's sugar production into developing fruit, not vegetation.  As the season winds down, and daylight hours fade, it is simply not practical to let the plants develop further.

Today I planted eight replacement cucumber seedlings, even though I did not feel they were quite ready for planting in the autopots.  Again, time is of the essence if I want to have a crop before the season ends.  

I lost almost an entire month of growing, as the plants I placed in the greenhouse on July 7, 2012 had to be destroyed.  The reason being, that in an effort to prevent powdery mildew, I sprayed the plants with a mixture that I found on the web that was supposed to prevent mildew from forming.

Although the garlic and water mixture was doing OK in controlling mildew, I thought I would try another natural preventive preparation.  The formula called for baking soda, cooking oil and dish washing detergent.  The mixture was prepared according to the directions given and applied to the plants, and, to my horror, the next morning every area sprayed with the mixture had turned white and was desiccated.

For the new crop I plan on using Bordeaux solution to control mildew, even though it is sort of messy.  The constant high temperatures and humidity this growing season are very conducive to the spread of powdery mildew.  In fact, this has been the most difficult year that I have had since I started the greenhouse, That said, I also learned more this year than any previous year.

 So, I guess there is a silver lining after all.

No comments: