Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4, 2012 journal

The annuals are pretty much in full bloom, with the exception of only the Cosmos and Tri-Colored Daises.  The Cosmos plants are mammoth, and I thought they were dwarf plants.  I can't wait to see what they look like in full bloom.  A little effort, and a few dollars in seeds, will produce summer beauty for several years.  Ya gotta love!


Between the heat and intense sun for the last several days, growing conditions in the greenhouse have been very difficult.  Plants, even heat loving plants like tomatoes and cucumbers, slow down their growth when the temperature is above 85 degrees.  And, insect activity increases at that level.  Thankfully, I have not had much of a problem with bugs for several years.  Trying to manage the shading to control the heat, yet still give the plants the maximum amount of light, is a challenge indeed.  


I have seen posts on gardening forums asking whether it is possible to grow in a greenhouse all year round.  Many people who respond say it is not, however, I like to quality my answer by saying it is, only if you are dedicated, or slightly daft.

No comments: