Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 17, 2012 journal


When checking the cucumber plants today I was quite amazed to find that every one of the plants already has female flowers. I find that remarkable, considering that is has only been sixteen days since I planted the seedlings in the greenhouse.

I have made several changes in how I am growing the plants this year, and they seem to be making a big big difference.  The changes include growing on a trellis and not pruning any lateral shoots until they have at least one female flower, and, I have been mixing a witch's brew of supplements that I received as samples from a hydroponic dealer.  Still, I think that hand watering until the plants are well established is making the biggest contribution to the improvement in plant performance.

The tomatoes are also responding to warming weather and longer days; they too are starting to develop flower buds.


Overall, I am satisfied with the results so far.

No comments: