Tuesday, November 16, 2010

In spite of the old proverb



There is an old proverb regarding changing direction while you are engaged in a process. It goes: "don't change horses while you are in midstream." It comes from an 1864 speech by Abraham Lincoln, in reply to Delegation from the National Union League who were urging him to be their presidential candidate.

In spite of Honest Abe's advice, I frequently change direction while gardening hydroponically, simply because it is so easy to do so.

Today I replaced the arugula in my modified aeroponic system with Parris Island romaine seedlings. It was a simple matter of turning off the pump, removing the pots with the arugula, and replacing them with pots of romaine. The change was easily accomplished without disturbing the system, and I do it frequently.

The arugula was started from seed only four weeks ago, and as you would normally not eat a lot of arugula, I thought it best to go on to something I knew we would enjoy, rather than invest any more time in something we have never tried. Also, I read that the larger leaves turn bitter and mine were definitely getting to be what I would consider large.

The Parris Island seeds were started on November 3, 2010 and they will be grown under the 90 watt red/blue/white LED until harvested.

No comments: